In 2017, Gendry Sherer assumed the role of Fine Arts and Cultural Affairs Division Director, which is responsible for directing and managing the fine arts program at Miami International Airport. The program includes six rotating exhibition galleries at MIA: CameraWorks; Central Terminal Gallery; The Children’s Gallery; The Eye Has to Travel; Hall of Aviation; and Waypoint Gallery. Sherer manages the temporary and permanent art installations, all cultural and community-arts programs and events at MIA, and serves as the Aviation Department’s liaison to Miami-Dade County’s Art in Public Places program.
Prior to joining the Aviation Department in 2014, Sherer served as the Assistant Art Curator and subsequently Curator for the Miami-Dade Public Library System, where she managed its rotating arts exhibition program throughout the library branches and oversaw the care and collection of more than 2,200 works of art. Sherer also assisted in overseeing The Vasari Project, an archive established in 2000 and co-funded by the Miami-Dade County Department of Cultural Affairs, which documents the history of art in Miami from 1945 to the present.
Among her accomplishments, Sherer successfully completed the installation of MIA’s Wall of Honor Memorial, a project at the center of the airport that that honors the men and women of the U.S. Armed Forces from South Florida who have given their lives in the global war of terrorism since September 11, 2001. She was part of the team that inaugurated MIA’s Hall of Aviation, an exhibition venue dedicated to exploring the themes of flight and aviation history, with an emphasis on Miami and MIA.
Additionally, Sherer is a panel member for the Miami-Dade County Department of Cultural Affairs Community Grants Program. She has also exhibited experimental projects at galleries and alternative art venues. Sherer received her bachelor’s degree in art history and criticism from Florida State University.
Meet the Leaders
Deputy Director / CFO
- Business Retention & Development
- Facilities Development
- Facilities Management and Engineering
- Governmental Affairs
- Minority Affairs
- Public Safety and Security
- Senior Executive Assistant & Deputy Chief of Staff
- Airside Operations, Noise Abatement and Wildlife, Aviation Enforcement and General Aviation Airports (GAA)
- Aviation Planning, Land Use and Grants
- Cash Management
- Commodities Management
- Contracts Administration
- Facilities Maintenance - Planning, Engineering and Construction
- Financial Planning and Performance Analysis
- Fine Arts and Cultural Affairs
- General Aviation Airports
- Human Resources
- Information Systems
- Landside Operations
- Professional Compliance
- Protocol and International Affairs
- Public & Customer Relations
- Real Estate Management and Development
- Terminal Maintenance
- Terminal Operations
- Utilities Maintenance