Miami-Dade Aviation Department
Miami International Airport
Division of Fine Arts & Cultural Affairs
IMAGINED LANDSCAPES, 2014
Artist: Edouard Duval-Carrié
, level 2
Imagined Landscapes forms part of a series of large-scale paintings first displayed in an exhibition titled by the same name at the Pérez Art Museum Miami in 2014. The series references nineteenth-century paintings whose works were commissioned as part of colonial interests in promoting economic development in these areas of the world.
With these mysterious paintings, rendered with a solid black background and a profusion of silver glitter glue on thin sheets of aluminum, the artist has created and upended the vision of Florida and the Caribbean that we have come to expect. The soothing colors and placid vistas are replaced by a nightscape that reminds us of histories, most often hidden, those of violence past and present, which lurk in the shadows.
Site Specific Projects
- North Terminal D - MIA Flower Fence
- North Terminal D - Andan Volando
- North Terminal D - All We Need is Love
- North Terminal D - Air Chair
- North Terminal - Meltdown
- North Terminal - Peace and Love
- Central Terminal F - Fake Holidays
- Central Terminal F - Waterspaces
- Central Terminal G - How Sweet It Is!
- Central Terminal Skywalk - Gifts from the Sea
- South Terminal H – ALL TOGETHER NOW
- South Terminal H - Carybé Murals
- South Terminal H - Imagined Landscapes
- South Terminal J - Temporary Altars
- South Terminal J 3rd Floor - Hortensia