The mission of the Facilities Development Division is to provide planning, design, procurement, construction and environmental services to our external and internal customers. Prepare and support the Miami-Dade Aviation Department (MDAD) to achieve departmental goals, serve the flying public and develop eco-friendly, sustainable and maintainable facilities.
The Division is responsible for the management of the Planning, Design, Bid & Award and Construction of the Aviation Department’s projects including the redevelopment and expansion of the terminal. The Division also manages the operation and capacity of the domestic water supply, the sewerage system the storm water system, aviation fuel system and the environmental footprint of MDAD. To meet the traffic growth at Miami International Airport (MIA) and General Aviation Airports (GAA), MDAD regularly expands and renovates its terminal, concourses, cargo handling facilities, runways, taxiways, parking, ground transportation, and connections to highways.
The management responsibilities are divided among three Divisions as follows:
- Aviation Planning Division: Responsible for all planning functions of the aviation department as well as the management of grants to fund projects throughout the system.
- Facilities Design and Facilities Construction Sections: Responsible for the management of projects during the design and construction phase, starting from the planning book until construction completion, occupancy and transition of completed facilities to MDAD Properties and Maintenance Divisions.
- Civil/Environmental Division: Responsible for all civil engineering needs such as water and sewerage system, storm water drainage, pavement management, environmental footprint, aviation fuel systems and contamination remediation.
The Assistant Aviation Director of the Facilities Development Division, the Division Directors and Section Chiefs are responsible for the planning of projects, development of policies, procedures, design guidelines, project management documents, space/furniture standards, to ensure completion of our projects on schedule, within budget, at optimum level of quality within the prescribed standards in an efficient and effective manner.
The Mission of the Aviation Planning, Land Use Compatibility and Grants Administration Division is as follows:
To plan for the timely and cost effective near, intermediate and long term improvement of the Miami-Dade County Airports to accommodate forecast aviation demand activity levels and meet changing market conditions, while assuring the preservation and protection of the airports systems capacity and meeting community needs by identifying and evaluating customer level of service needs, formulating alternative solutions, recommending and initiating programs, and interfacing with federal, state and local agencies for airport plan approvals, land-use and airspace compatibility and securing grant funds.
Should you have any questions please contact Mr. Ammad Riaz, Chief of Aviation Planning, at 305-876-7036 or at ARIAZ@Miami-Airport.com.
For a complete list of fees, please see the PDF below.
For additional information e-mail us.
Airport Height And Land Use Zoning
- Final - Airport Zoning Ordinance 19-112
- MIA - Height Variance Eligible Area 19 NOV 2019
- MIA - Height Zoning Map 20 NOV 2019.2
- MIA - Land Use Map 19NOV2019
- MIA - Non Aviation Uses on GP 19NOV2019
- MIA - Notification Map 19Nov2019
- OPF - Height Variance Eligible Area 19NOV2019
- OPF - Height Zoning Map 20NOV2019
- OPF - Land Use Map 19NOV2019
- OPF - Non Aviation Uses on GP 19NOV2019
- OPF - Notification Map 19Nov2019
- TMB - Height Variance Eligible Area 19NOV2019
- TMB - Height Zoning Map 20NOV2019
- TMB - Land Use Map 19NOV2019
- TMB - Non Aviation Uses on GP 19NOV2019
- TMB - Notification Map 19Nov2019
- X51 - Height Variance Eligible Area 19NOV2019
- X51 - Height Zoning Map 20NOV2019
- X51 - Land Use Map 19NOV2019
- X51 - Notification Map 19Nov2019
- Variance of Airport Zoning Regulations Application
- Airport Zoning Variance Checklist
- Towers Poles and Masts ordinance
- Application Process - Proposed Aeronautical Landing Area
- Heliport & Helipad Approval Process
- On-Airport Projects Airspace Review & Filing Procedure
- Contact Information - Aviation Planning Admin Division Staff
- Bldg. 3030 - Aviation Planning Division Location
Fees & Forms
The Miami-Dade Aviation Department (MDAD) is committed to conducting its operations in an environmental responsible manner pursuant to our Environmental Policy. Our goal is to provide efficient aviation services while striving to achieve the highest environmental quality for air, soil, and water.
In addition to our economic contributions to the community, we want to inform our stakeholders (passengers, customers, business partners, employees, regulators, the community at large, etc.) about our commitment to operate MIA in an environmentally responsible manner. The brochure below provides the reader a glimpse at some of the environmental achievements at MIA in recent years.
In order to support that goal the Civil Environmental Engineering Division has developed an Environmental Management Systems (EMS) as a part of the requirements of the ISO 14001. The following units are already Registered to ISO 14001:
- MIA Fuel Facility
- MIA Civil Environmental Engineering Division
- MIA Facilities Maintenance and Engineering Division
- MIA Commodities Management Division
The Environmental Division is composed of five distinct but inter-related sections:
Airport Civil Engineering - Develops standards, specifications, and construction quality assurance programs for MIA's infrastructures.
Asbestos Compliance - Manages the Asbestos Abatement and Compliance Program.
Environmental Engineering - Responsible for assessment, remediation, and overall environmental compliance and training activities.
Fuel System Administration - Oversees Management Agreement fuel storage/distribution. As part of the Alternative Fuel Master Plan we have developed the following study:
- Biodiesel Feasibility Study for the Miami International Airport with a grant from the Department of Energy (5 MB)
Environmental Response Activities - Request for Documents involving contamination at MIA.
Pollution Prevention Information - for Tenants, Contractors and Employees at MIA.
Find out what is Your Environmental Footprint
In case of an environmental emergency, call:
MDAD Control Room 305-876-0385
Learn More: DEP Consent Order
For more information about our environmental activities at MIA, contact Andrey Main
The Aviation Design Section oversees the design of all MDAD Facilities at MIA and GAA. Employees in this section have specialized training in various engineering and architecture disciplines as well as construction and contract management. Oversee the development of construction documents from programming and preliminary design to approved construction permit set(s) for the construction of buildings and ancillary facilities.
The Construction Section is responsible for interacting with architects, engineers, regulatory agencies, consultants, contractors and other airport stake holders during the bid, award and construction phases of projects once transferred from the Design Section or as otherwise directed by MDAD. Projects include capital construction, facilities improvements, limited scope repairs and renovations, as well as tenant airport construction projects at MIA and GAA.
- About Us
- Airport Statistics
- Capital Improvement Program (CIP)
- Contact Us
- Executive Leaders
- Facilities Development
- MIA Fly Green
- History of MIA
- Jobs at MIA
- MIA Airport Official - Mobile App
- Noise Abatement
- MIA News Room
- Professional Compliance Division
- Protocol and International Affairs
- Public Safety
- Reward & Recognition
- Transparency Reports
- Volunteer Program